Definition of the Committee
- Egypt acquired to the membership of the International Committee of the Codex (codex) since 1972.
-The Ministerial Decree No. 586/1973 has beenIssued for the formation of the Egyptian Committee for codex to be
corresponding to the International Committee for the Codex "CODEX" affiliated to the Food and Agriculture Organization
(FAO) and the World Health Organization (WHO) under the chairmanship of the Egyptian organization for Standards and
Because of the rapid and successive developments at the international levels, and in belief of the importance of keeping up
with what is new and modern in the food industry and confirming on production quality and promoting it to the required levels
of developments, the - Ministerial Decree No. 59/1988 was issued on 13.1.1988 - reforming the Egyptian committee of Codex
to have on its membership the new experts owners of active bodies to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the
- Taking into account in the formation of the Egyptian Committee for codex to be representing relevant ministries
(health / agriculture / industry and commerce / Electricity and Energy, research centers, universities, regulators and
consumer protection associations, the Chamber of Food Industries and Trade Agreement Sector, Companies for food
manufacturing ) of the public sector and the private business along with industrialists with experience and competence in
the field of food processing and output quality.
Tasks and goals
- studying the international standardsdrafts received from the Secretariat of the International committee of codex"and
commenting on them in light of the potential and local conditions, along with the impact of these standards on
manufacturing activity and production processes, export and import, taking into account the contribution of this activity in
solving problems and obstacles relatedfood industries in Egypt.
- studying the problems facing the national industry to develop ways to solve and eliminate them and provide the necessary
technical consultancy in this regard.
- The nomination of the Egyptian delegation who attend meetings of sub-committees of the International Committee of
Codex "CODEX" and following-up activities of the international committees through reports from each session to keep up
with all that is new and modern in the food industry and their implications for international trade.
- The formation of sub-committees of the Egyptian codex Committee like the sub-committees of the International
Committee of the Codex (CODEX), in various sectors of the food industry.
- The organization of seminars, conferences and targeted programs that serve the food industry in order to activate the
Egyptian exports to foreign markets.
- Issuing the Newsletter (quarterly) from the Egyptian Committee of codex , which includes the achievements of the
Committee in order to spread awareness among consumerswith a focus on topics that deal with food product quality and
safety and the right of citizens to have to safe and healthyfood as well as publish all updates in the field food legislation, in
addition to all the latest developments on the international scene (CODEX).
- Issuing legislation and laws aimed at protecting consumers from unhealthy practices and the development of guidelines and
regulations which will ensure food safety offered to consumer.
- To protect the Reputation of Egypt on the international level through giving attention to the topics that are discussed
during the meetings of the International Committee of the "CODEX" and Egypt'scomments on them which is reflected, on
the decisions and recommendations taken during these meetings.
- Focusing on the quality of food products to strengthen their competitiveness with international products,encouraging
exports and opening of new markets for Egyptian products.
the Holding Company for Food Industries and its subsidiaries operating in the food industry, as well as other relevant
companies cover the aspects of exchange assessed on the Main Committee and sub-committees emanating from it and all
Group activities and research in accordance with arrangements made by and decided by the Committee.